Re: Interactive Documentation — what's needed?

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Tue Oct 23 18:28:20 EDT 2007

On Oct 23, 2007, at 2:53 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Josh Mellicker wrote:
>> It would take me a few hours (mostly to export/import/format the
>> current doc content)
>> The cost would be, I will do it if enough people say they'll use it!
>> Editing authority is pretty easy, invite anyone to have an
>> account,  since there is an infinite revision history it would be
>> easy to  revert in case of spam (just like wikipedia)
>
> There's the copyright consideration, but also there's a certain
> cohesive benefit in having the docs right in the program, to look
> up tokens while scripting, etc.

One idea: think up a clever keyboard shortcut, put a little handler
in your main stack when developing,  so when clicking on a term in a
script editor, it would launch a URL based on the mouseChunk:

http://revwiki.org/functions/executionContexts

so that one click summons up the right page for that command.

> I wonder if it would be easier to use Rev as the UI for this wiki,
> with a plugin that mods the Docs stack to add this wiki option.

A system within Rev certainly has its benefits, like offline access
is a big one, but one point for making it public would be, just like
all the wonderful resources on your website and many others, for Rev
to publicize the widespread community support for the language...

> That would still deliver the benefits of a wiki, while retaining
> the benefits of integrated Help, and saves the time of crafting a
> UI in HTML/JavaScript.

I would use an existing open source framework, all the AJAX goodies,
search, commenting already built-in.

It would take under 10 minutes to put all the functionality online,
then coding to properly import existing content would take maybe an
hour or more...