The Documentation

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 17:46:15 EDT 2007

On 10/24/07, Josh Mellicker <josh at dvcreators.net> wrote:
> Perhaps it's a good idea to "take a page from" the PHP doc:
>
> http://us.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-info.php
>
> It's like a wiki, where there's the "official" explanation at the
> top, then a lot of very helpful examples, code snippets and comments
> below from the community on each page.
>
> I could whip something like this up in a few hours or so that would
> be ready to add comments to.

I strongly agree. MySQL uses the same sort of thing and I find it
incredibly useful. However I believe that for this to last and have
credibility, it needs to be done by RunRev themselves. If they could
create the web-based docs with an index and one page per command, then
allow us all to annotate it, I think it would be an enormous step
forward and it would be making better use of the expertise of all the
people on this list.

The only proviso is that not everyone is online all the time. MySQL
makes a downloadable format available. I don't know if this includes
all the user comments, but it would be great if it did.

Tutorials and discussions are still vital for newcomers, but this sort
of thing would make the docs much more useful for everyone.

Sarah