getting those pesky spaces out of a PostgreSQL select

Len Morgan len-morgan at crcom.net
Thu Oct 18 09:00:20 EDT 2007

Perhaps you could write a little external that could talk to the backend
directly (although there isn't really much you
can't do from within psql).  There is a "driver" for just about any
language you can think of in postgres.  In fact, if you
look at the .tcl driver code (my personal favorite), you can see how to
make a postgres driver IN TRANSCRIPT.  The
only requirement is that you be able to read and write a socket in binary.

I might even give this a try even though I'm on windows.

len morgan

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami wrote:
> Len Morgan wrote:
>> Can I ask why you are using psql instead of the rev functions (which
>> don't pad)?
>
> Rev Database Functions: You Wish! We Wish!
>
> This is the 2.6.1 engine running on a linux web server...
> so, it is relatively "crippled" dBase wise.
>
> all the power tools we would love to be able to
> use on a web server installation are simply not available.
>
> Crossing our fingers that this will all change
> with 2.9....
>

>> len morgan
>>

>> Sadhunathan Nadesan wrote:
>>> Swami
>>>
>>> It appears that the -A option to psql does what you want.  It's right
>>> at the beginning of the man entry for psql.
>>>
>>> To see this in action log in to vel and cd to /tmp, then run
>>>
>>> psql htde -f event.sql
>>>
>>> It looks like this
>>>
>>>  user_id | event_code |     event_time      |      description
>>>
>>> 878      | AU         | 2008-06-02 13:18:45 | user:
>>> govan at starhub.net.sg
>>> 878      | VI         | 2008-06-02 13:20:28 | Hinduism Today Digital
>>> Edition July/August/September 2007
>>> 878      | DB         | 2008-06-02 13:20:28 |
>>> http://www.hinduismtoday.com/archives/2007/7-9/cover_2007-07-01.jpg
>>> 878      | DE         | 2008-06-02 13:20:33 |

>>> 878|AU|2008-06-02 13:18:45|user: govan at starhub.net.sg