Moving Rev apps to the web (why isn't this on the horizon?)

Derek Bump list at dreamscapesoftware.com
Sat Oct 13 12:08:32 EDT 2007

It may, but I feel it would still require a conversion.  And after
thinking about this issue overnight I am seeing more on the side of
Richard and others regarding the cost and timeline for implementing such
a feature.

So on the topic of a better helper application, let's say that Rev was
to take the "Adobe Reader" approach?  It's very simple in that all you
needed to view the content is for the program to be installed on the
client's computer.

I'm sure that STS's StackRunner would be an excellent candidate as a
helper application, but backing from RunRev themselves would probably be
the best approach.  Additionally, there would need to be some universal
structure for Windows, Mac and Linux for the implimenting of such a
helper app in both the handling of URLs and the display of the Reader
itself.

And then one could go farther with little web badges, much like Adobe
and Apple do for their helper apps like Reader and QuickTime.  This
creates more advertising and exposure for RunRev.

Now along the lines of the helper app, would the possibility of layering
the stack's window over the web page be a solution for a browser plugin?
 Some browsers today can display Microsoft Office and PDF documents
directly within the browser (as a page itself).  Could a helper app drop
a layer for a stack window over a region on a page (granted we'd have to
then deal with Tabs and such)... but I'm getting into the old idea again.

Derek Bump
Dreamscape Software
http://www.dreamscapesoftware.com