Send Wake-on-Lan _Packet

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Tue Nov 27 15:22:04 EST 2007

Kee Nethery wrote:
> Assuming you are talking about a Mac, instead of Wake-On-LAN, perhaps
> use something that will wake up your mac kiosk at specific times and
> then make sure you hit that window to do all your remote maintenance.
>
> The Mac-ish things I read about online were iCal and Automator. I'm
> certain that there is probably something you can set in cron or some
> other unix command to do what you need.
>
> But ... why not have the kiosk send you the file before it goes to
> sleep for the night? Seems like that would be easier.

You got it... that's what we've decided to do. There really is no reason
for the Kiosk machine to store any data... it's all going to get
processed and uploaded to the main dbase later anyway. So, we will just
have any "Submit" done on the Kiosk immediately post to the main OS X
Serve on the LAN (which is always alive) then the team that needs to
preprocess the data before upload to the server will work on that data,
not any files on the Kiosk machine. I will build in a small failsafe...
the WiFi network is flaky and a post fails, it will queue up data
locally until the next session and pass any local files to the server
that might be in the queue. This way we bypass completely any
conversations with the Kiosk machine.

skts