Size of array

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Sat Nov 17 22:31:15 EST 2007

I think you'd have to have a much bigger amount of data to run into
memory issues on a modern computer. Watching Activity Monitor while
the script runs, I saw only a small increase (1MB) in the amount of
active memory being used by Rev. I have 2 gigabytes on this machine,
but my past experiences were on a machine with only 768MB.

It's hard to say exactly how much memory is used by Revolution arrays
without knowing the internals of how the data is stored and what the
'structure overhead' is, but with 300,000 pieces of data, and
assuming an average length of key to be 10 characters, and an average
length of data to be 5 characters, that's 3MB + 1.5MB + some amount
of overhead, so at least 4.5MB. That's not so big in terms of
machines with at least hundreds of MBs of RAM.

Best,

Mark