(mac) application menu

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Thu Nov 15 17:35:50 EST 2007

On Nov 15, 2007, at 3:08 PM, Peter Brigham wrote:

> Mark Schonewille:
>
> ****
> Maybe I was wrong with my previous suggestion. Have you tried
> changing both the Name field in the General pane and the Name field
> in the OSX pane?
>
> I did have the same problem some time ago and I am sure I solved it
> by changing one of these fields.
> ****
> Yes. I just discovered this for myself. The name that gets put in
> the Mac menubar as the application name is the name you specify in
> the OSX plist section. Good to know. Thanks.
>
> Now, the other mystery -- I convert my stack to a standalone (now
> with the correct application name in the Mac manubar!) and when I
> select "quit <myApp> from the application menu, nothing happens.
> Anyone have any ideas what could cause this behavior? Per my
> previous experiments, this is probably *not* due to anything in my
> scripting, as it seems that the quit command is handled by the
> system. So what could be the problem?

Peter,

I believe that you must script the Quit menu to make it work when you
choose Quit from the menu with the mouse. It is when you use the
shortcut keys Command-Q that the OS takes over and quits no matter
what you scripted. If you want to override this behavior you have to
use an AppleScript routine. I know Ken Ray has a note on his web site
about how to do this. See www.sonsothunder.com.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University