can I Save data to standalone sub stack within the standalone and redistribute the standalone withe the new saved data

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Thu Nov 8 11:15:08 EST 2007

>Note that you cannot edit an executable, so you can't save the
>substack into the executable itself. On Mac OS X, executables are
>contained within a bundle folder, which you can theoretically put
>stuff into, but Apple is not fond of that,

I do this all the time - in fact it's part of my methodology. I
really don't want to create a new standalone every time I have to
make a change in one stack, so (at least in Tiger) I work in the IDE
with any of the stacks inside the bundle, and it works great.  All
the file paths are the same, and I can even run the Rev IDE and
launch the surrounding package at the same time. The only downside is
that changing anything inside the bundle will not change the date in
the bundle as it would with a folder, and my backup software doesn't
see the changed date, and doesn't back it up.

>and the newest OS (leopard) will put up a dialog if you try to
>reopen an application edited in this way.

If Leopard breaks this for me, I'm going to be working in Tiger for a
long, long time.

--

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o