Place to stash a text file in Vista thats shared by all users?

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 11:58:54 EDT 2007

Hi Eric,

Honestly I don't recall the exact circumstances, as it has now been
some time ago. But my company was doing an update to our software back
when Vista was first hitting the market, and we wanted everything to
be Vista-compatible. We also needed a place to store a prefs file that
was accessible to all users. We first went with C:\ProgramData, as
that seemed to be the logical choice. However, after doing some
testing, we discovered that in some cases, not all, and I'm still not
totally sure why, our prefs file was getting virtualized, which of
course was causing all kinds of strange things to happen with our
program. All I was doing was writing the file to our own folder inside
ProgramData. I'm not sure if it had something to do with the type of
Vista installation or what. We were mostly testing on the Business and
Ultimate flavors. But it was then that I had to research other
locations and found Public Documents to be the best place.

Not sure if that really answers your questions or not. :-)

Chris

--
Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally, Inc.