Threading and Software Companies

Scott Kane scott at cdroo.com
Thu May 31 02:15:32 EDT 2007

From: "Richmond Mathewson" <geradamas at yahoo.com>

> I access my e-mail account via a standard web-browser, not via an e-mail
> client; and I suppose this is why my messages don't thread.

No.  That doesn't cause it at all.  What causes a lack of threading is that
you don't quote what you are responding to and then your replies tend to, or
even **appear**, to be off the thread.

> I don't have a problem with software companies as such.

Well....  Fair enough.  But I don't buy it....

> However I am confused as to how much, and how Runtime Revolution interacts
> with its customers and/or users.

They seem to respond pretty well AFAICS

> In the recent thread ("Hammering . . .") Heather Nagey reacted extremely
> swiftly to an idea that was initiated by myself - and that is really
> super.

Indeed.

> [The reason for my subsequently posting a list of other ways that the
> 'problem' with Classic builds could be coped with was because I felt that
> they were
> worth sharing]

I can't speak for anybody else, but I don't doubt the integrity of your
desire to share your opionion and would never seek to interfere with that.
It's more down to the issue that, after two years here, albeit not as long
as yourself,  all I've really heard you do is complain.  That does become a
matter of "oh dear... not again."  Of course I could ignore you when you
start a rant - and to be brutally honest I do - it is all the same
frustrating.

Actually...  What you actually said is:

> Now, with the exception of the millionaires who fool around with RR just
> for the fun of it, most of us have to produce software that runs on all
> those "cranky old
> computers" which use operating systems that are below the notice of the
> demi-gods in Edinburgh.

Which is indeed rather unecessary and pretty much a wasted expression.  By
your logic anybody other than those that agree with you are millionaires and
fools.  I'd love to give that statement to a high school "clear thinking"
class for analysis.

You also said in another related post:

> This sounds a bit like all those other software companies who assume they
> know what is best for their clients

Also an unecessary swipe and from where I'm standing representitive of a
chip on the shoulder in respect of  "all those other software companies"
who, after years of struggle and pain and effort and money often indeed know
better than their clients, what is best for them, based on experience,
trends and a good deal of know-how.

> Scott Kane has a small 'problem' which is that he is not very keen on
> Richmond's "tone of voice". Well, the feeling is fairly mutual; but as we
> are both adults we
> ought to be sensible about this and avoid ruffling each other's feathers.
> If the RR use-list only supported one point of view and one style of
> writing
> it would be worthless.

I must admit I do indeed dislike your "tone of voice" in many of your posts.
Though generally I disregard them as a little noise in amongst hundreds of
valuable insights shared on this list.  What I'm really on about is that
there are ways to get attention without resorting to rhetoric that makes you
seem to be as spiky as an echidna.

Scott Kane