On Board Sound -- Midi in Custom Props

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed May 30 13:26:59 EDT 2007

I would like to include some really light weight audio in stacks. Midi
would be ideal for certain kinds of games sounds, transition sounds,
opening splash screen sounds. As soon as you start doing aiff and  wav,
otherwise lean stacsk (100-150K) starts to bloat (400-500K)

since these are downloaded on demand from the internet, one wants a fast
download. I could use http to call sounds,
but also looking to keep the framework simple.
Also, you can't be waiting for a sound to download if you want it to
play when the stack opens...

Has anyone tried saving midi files in a custom prop, then writing those
to disk and playing them in an off screen player? I wonder the system
is going to block the write to disk. I don't think you can just pass
data directly
from a custom prop to a variable to a player (that would be great!)

I'm open to any and all other strategies as this is something new for
us. Looking for "best practice" based on your experience.

Again, quick download of modular component stacks is a base requirement.
Obviously if you are delivering on CDs the size constraints are not an
issue.

If anyone cares to share "here's what I do and it works for me.." we
will be all ears.

Sivakatirswami
www.himalayanacademy.com