Cannot exit to top in modal

Martin Baxter mb.userev at harbourhosting.co.uk
Tue May 29 10:26:05 EDT 2007

Michael Binder wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
>  > Are you finding that it is only "exit to top" that is ignored?
>  > In my (quick) test here I found that in the modal, no statements
>  > after close stack were executed, as if close stack, when
>  > encountered in a modal, immediately stops execution of the
>  > running handler.
>
> interesting... I just checked again.  Statements after the
> 'close stack' statement do execute.  But once the handler
> gets to 'exit to top' no further statements in *that*
> handler execute.  Unfortunately, statements in the handler
> that called the modal do continue to execute.
>
> --Michael Binder

Well, I checked again and there was a flaw in my previous test, so I now
see exactly the same as you report above. Basically the modal stack
itself seems to be the boundary of the universe as far as "exit to top"
is concerned. This sounds like what Ben Rubinstein was referring to
earlier when he described modals as akin to separate threads.

Ben Rubinstein wrote:
> This is a real problem. Although we normally say that Rev doesn't do
> threading, effectively there is a kind of threading going on with
> modal stacks, such that 'exit to top' exits the processing going on
> in the open modal stack - but doesn't affect the processing of the
> 'underneath' script that was suspended when it executed the 'modal'
> statement.

Martin Baxter