Build for Classic

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Tue May 29 07:47:24 EDT 2007

Judy!

Your answers to the 'Build for Classic' posts are not
too late:

in fact, until lots of people stop using the following
operating systems we need to keep hammering ar
RunRev's doors:

Mac "Classic" - meaning Mac OS 6 thru 9

Windows "Classic" - meaning 95 thru XP

I do not adhere to the "endlessly upward" and "chuck
out perfectly good machines every six months because I
am dripping with money" cults.

I have clients who use my tiddly-widdly programs for
improving their English pronunciation - most of them
are using Windows 98 and ME (Yuck) - same game as Mac
Classic.

Now, with the exception of the millionaires who fool
around with RR just for the fun of it, most of us have
to produce software that runs on all those "cranky old
computers" which use operating systems that are below
the notice of the demi-gods in Edinburgh. So, we
should vote, agitate, barrack and so on by harping on
about the incredibly important need for RR to be
backwards compatible for a very, very long time to
come.

Or (Heather Nagey - I hope you are paying attention
here!) release an earlier version of Runtime
Revolution at a reduced price, crippled so that it
will only build for the systems "we know and love"
mentioned above . . . now, there's a thought!

Sincerely, Richmond "Classic" Mathewson

PS. I am a "Classic" as my Operating system was
installed in 1962 - still running, no new hard-drive,
no new RAM, and seriously aggressively Scots :)

PPS. For those who need to build for Classic I find it
hard to believe that:

a. you have deleted all the earlier versions of RR you
have had on your hard-disks.

b. the recently introduced new features are so vital
that you cannot live without them for your Classic
builds.

Personally, on the rare occasions I neeed to build for
Mac Classic I just use RR 2.0.1 to cope with a stack I
have authored with a later version - not rocket
science, but it does the trick.

Not, that this in any way justifies Runtime
Revolution's supposition that users of operating
system that are more than 5 minutes old are dead on
the ground :)

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.