Trying to control OKI Microline 590 24-pin printer

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Mon May 28 19:01:14 EDT 2007

Depending on your expansion plans, you have a lot of choices,
starting with the simplest.

You could use a tab-delimited database system using text files.

You could use a custom-property based database system in a stack.
These could be turned into speedy arrays directly for quick access.

You could use the limited SQL set in the included altSQLlite in REV 2.8.1

(It's a small subset of MySQL but it works for some situations. But
that locks you into a single-user based system.)

The next step is multiuser, and installing and setting up a local or
remote server. With Valentina, MySQL, or PostGresql, these all can be
expanded to multiuser server use with no code changes.

My current fave is MySQL; my ISP Dreamhost offers it free with my
account and it's very inexpensive, especially when there's a need for
a web site anyway. And you can run MySQL in localhost mode on your
machine - I'm not saying it's free, but the software is available at
the http://mysql.org site. the 5.0.2 version absolutely rocks.

If you need more versatility and performance than MySQL offers, check
out Valentina. I think they have limited-record trial versions and
packages for all size projects. http://www.valentina-db.com/

Finally, there are free open source softwares including at the top Postgresql.
http://www.postgresql.org/download/

All of these can be translated between, dumped and more easily
utilized in Transcript using Trevor's DB library.
http://mangomultimedia.com/developer/revolution/

For accessing and uploading data there's CocoaMySQL for the Mac. Many
others for PC.
new beta http://cocoamysql.sourceforge.net/beta/CocoaMySQL_0.7b5.zip

sqb

--