External Writing Help

Brent Anderson brentj84062 at gmail.com
Mon May 28 18:40:24 EDT 2007

Hello.

Here is a quick followup to this message, in case anyone is
interested. After digging through Apple and Revolution Mailing lists
and learning Objective-C basics, we discovered that the only way to
link an Objective-C framework to a Revolution application is through
the use of C++ (A footnote in a newsletter found here: http://
www.runrev.com/newsletter/november/issue13/newsletter5.php).
Fortunately, Objective-C interoperates rather well with C++, so this
won't be too difficult to achieve. A great article on this can be
found here:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ObjectiveC/
Articles/chapter_4_section_10.html

Although we haven't tested it (yet) we have been able to successfully
build the Revolution external when compiled using the Objective-C++
compiler. From there, all we have to do is link the Framework in
question with our xcode project, write up the "glue" interface from
Revolution to C++ to Objective C, and then start interfacing with the
Framework from within Revolution. In a nutshell, use .mm as the
extension to glue Objective C to C++, include your referencing code
inside that, and build your external as you would normally. I think
it might be possible to write up an Objective-C Framework to External
maker since the process seems relatively straightforward, however I'm
not up to that challenge at the moment.

Thanks,
Brent Anderson
www.FieryFerret.com