Character set conversion from/to MySQL

Torbjörn Nordlindh tn at nul.se
Sun May 27 23:22:04 EDT 2007

On 2007-05-27 19:21+02:00 Bill wrote:

> Check out Trevor's library of database functions for this as I
> remember
> seeing lots of UTF conversion functions there that I ignored.

I have, and it works with some tweaking but it seems to be even more
overhead compared to what I've already done.

What I wanted to know was if there was a way to make the built-in
MySQL drivers to either use the character encoding specified in the
database or to use a specific encoding defined when opening the
database connection.

Another thing I don't understand, is why Revolution is using native
character encoding and tries to convert field content between
platforms. Why not use Unicode all the way through?

It also seems like when I set the unicodeText of a field, Revolution
translates it into native code and puts that into the visible part of
the field. Maybe I've got that wrong?

The reason for all this is that I want my application to handle any
character without transation back and forth between different
encodings because all encodings does not have every character and
there is a risk of characters getting replaced or even lost.

Torbjörn