Stack version?

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sat May 26 20:48:49 EDT 2007

On 5/27/07, Bill Vlahos <bvlahos at mac.com> wrote:
> I was wondering how others deal with versionioning their stacks. I don't mean the standalones which already have version information but regular stacks.
>
> I have a stack that is opened by a standalone stub. The standalone won't change much but the program stack that is opened will. I want to be able to do updates from the Internet that essentially replaces the stack.
>
> To do this I need to standardize on a way to code a version number in the stack and then compare the version the user has with that on the web server. If the web server version is newer I want to give the user the ability to download the new version which would replace the old version.

Bill, I use a standard custom property i.e. for one project each of
the stacks have a custom property called efVersion. I can check this
for every stack. On my web site, I upload the new stacks with the
version number as a part of the file name, so version 1.23 of the
efChart stack will be uploaded with the name "efChart.123.rev.gz". The
updater stack then checks the list of files on the FTP site and checks
the efVersion of the stacks it already has and downloads any that need
updating.

I have an uploading stack that sets the version property, cleans out
the development properties, compresses the stack, renames it and
uploads it.

Cheers,
Sarah