beepLoudness

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Thu May 24 11:27:51 EDT 2007

Eons ago (pre- the Rev/Metacard merger) there was a bug, where
somehow the beepLoudness got balled up.  I think this was OSX only.
The fix was to reset the beepLoudness and then make it beep.  I don't
remember how long ago this bug began, or if and when it ended.  But
the fix was simple:

on fixSoundLevel
   global gSoundLevel # the beepLoudness when the app was launched
   set the beepLoudness to 10
   beep
   set the beepLoudness to gSoundLevel
end fixSoundLevel

This code has lived in my app for many years.  But I suspect it is
now causing difficulties.  Because almost every time I run the app,
my system beep level gets reset to the lowest possible setting where
I can't hear it.

So it is time to re-evaluate this piece of code.  I searched both the
Metacard and Revolution archives, and there is no mention of the
probably long-squashed bug.  Not even a tidbit.

Does anybody remember this issue?  I am assuming I no longer need
this workaround as I found no mention anywhere.

Interestingly, if I get the beepLoudness from the msg box, it shows
as 16777472.  According to the docs, it should be 0-100 or not work
at all.

Shari

--
Gypsy King games for