Popping up stacks

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri May 25 14:01:36 EDT 2007

Recently, Richard Gaskin wrote:

>> Each of these solutions is using a stack as a menu -- is there
>> a reason you can't display a palette or system window at the
>> desired location?

> If there's no magic combination of property settings to make either of
> those work, using a palette would be the next step.
>
> But this is not without its own challenges, as I'd need to carefully
> trap messages to dismiss the palette whenever anything else is clicked
> on, when the Escape key is pressed, etc.

Well at first glance, you may not have many other options available to you.
Since I assume the panel is supposed to open above another stack, you could
temporarily a transparent graphic in the under-stack to catch all non-popup
mouseclicks.

Are you replicating some behavior/feature in an existing application?

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design