Build for Classic

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri May 18 13:32:09 EDT 2007

Jeff Reynolds wrote:

> Dropping os9 is not a solution if you build for the K-6 education
> market.

I hear you on that.  I know a good many teachers, and it's tragic how
low their budgets get prioritized, esp. when we consider so many other
useless things the money gets spent for.

I think you hit on a key point here:

> luckily we just dont use any features past 2.6, so i can keep
> authoring there, then use it to make the classic build and move
> it up to 2.8 to do the  osx and windows builds, but is a bit of
> a pain and i know that murphy will come along and bit me with
> some sort of build specific bug when doing this sort of bifurcated
> build process...

It could be worse:  in the olden days I had clients who supported
multiple platforms by developing the Mac version in SuperCard and the
Windows version in ToolBook.  What a nightmare that was.

Most of the new features in v2.7 and v2.8 don't affect Classic at all,
since they deal with things like Universal Binary, Vista, window buffer
compositing, etc.

So your strategy of staying with v2.6 still keeps Rev a viable option at
the modest cost of a little inconvenience at build time.  The one thing
we know about Classic is that it's not a moving target. :)

Since RunRev did promise at least one more engine for Classic I agree
they should do so, and the sooner they get it out of the way the better
for them and everyone else.  As they continue to move the code base
forward, we can't expect that a Classic build will get any easier.

But I think it's prudent for anyone who needs to deploy to Classic to
expect that there probably won't be more than one new engine for that
OS, so sooner or later they'll be in the same spot you're in now,
building for modern OSes in one version and building for Classic in an
older one.

With v2.9, v3.0, v4.0 and beyond, any version that includes Classic
support will be short-lived, so the practice of using two versions of
Rev will become the norm anyway not long after they release a new
Classic engine.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal