Read File at > 2GB Problem

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu May 17 14:44:11 EDT 2007

Dave wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That's what I'm doing, but it's *way* too slow and crashes if you read
> too much data. I've got a 60+ GB file and need to read at "random"
> positions in the file. Moving from somewhere near the start to somewhere
> near the end takes minutes! The ironic thing is that the data I want to
> read when I get there is quite small!

There is a limit to the total addressable RAM space that Rev can use.
It's 4 gigs on 32-bit systems, and 16P on 64-bit systems. I believe that
Rev works with 64-bit systems (for two reasons: they said it would, and
it is documented) so it may be that you are reaching one of the limits.
However, my brain cannot process how large 16P is so I'm not sure.
What's that in gigs?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com