Using Rev to Access MySql over the LAN

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Mon May 14 20:18:28 EDT 2007

I am a dbase newbie and could use a little guidance.

Context: OSX Server (intel) and Intell Mac Book Pros on the LAN.

We are using Portfolio from Extensis for content management.
it builds a MySQL server and dbase on the back end on the
OSX serve we have and then remote clients on the LAN
talk to MySQL using OBDC which is running underneath
the Portfolio client app GUI.

We would like to build some GUI's in Rev
to talk directly to the same dbase on the server, for

a) some global operations (uploading data to records where the
Extensis UI is somewhat deficient)

b) some very specifically targeted GUI for reading data

I would normally just test access in a terminal session first
to see if things are working... but I don't know how.

our admin has SSH closed down... but I need a little
advice on how to make OSX serve, which has MySQL
running, set up to accept requests coming from
client machines on the LAN (I think that means
on the same subnet, but inside the firewall)

I'm not even sure if I am framing this query
clearly enough to get a clear answer :-)

Sivakatirswami
www.himalayanacademy.com