Connect to SQL Server via ODBC on Mac?

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Mon May 14 11:52:16 EDT 2007

Has anybody on this list attempted to use the current versions of Rev (in fact
any version since 2.7.2) to access a SQL Server database over ODBC on the Mac?
  And if you have, have you succeeded?  And what driver were you using?

I use the OpenLink SQL Server Lite Driver, version 5.0.319.  With all versions
since 2.7.2, I find that opening the database fails with no error (it returns
empty, where it should return either an error message or a connection id).
Versions 2.1 though 2.7.1 are fine.

This isn't about standalones or locating externals etc - this is just in the
IDE (though it's no better with standalones).  Something useful is being done
to connect to the ODBC infrastructure, because if I pass a bad DSN I get a
sensible error message.  (More details in Bugzilla #4783).

I know that other users are accessing SQL Server via ODBC without problems on
Windows.  But I want to know if this is a universal problem on the Mac, or
just a problem I've got.  If it's a problem with the OpenLink driver that can
be worked around using another driver, that would be handy too.

So - is anyone else using Rev to connect to a SQL Server database over ODBC on
the Mac?  And if so, how's that working for you?

TIA,

- Ben