Script Limits in 2.8.0 [was Spreadsheet]

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Mon May 14 08:31:37 EDT 2007

On 13/05/07, Robert Brenstein <rjb at robelko.com> wrote:

> >Robert Brenstein wrote:
> >>Another example: scientific applications where users can enter
> >>their own functions for analyzing, processing, or displaying some
> >>data.
> >
> >Given how few scientists also have Rev experience, is it necessary
> >that the functions be written in Transcript?

No - not necessary. For these sort of applications I think it is easy enough
to allow people to script in any language they want by  organising a plugins
folder with shell scripts - so you could use python, perl, SQL or whatever
you have and are able to use. The thing is for novices it is easier to learn
Transcript, and there is the speed advantage...

The way I look at it is a slightly puzzled question to RunRevs strategy here
- there would be no better way of getting a greater mind share for the
RunRev IDE than alowing a bunch of tools to be created which demonstrate the
simplicity and advantages of coding in Transcript over other scripting
languages - this needs applications like this that give you the choice while
providing an easy path to get into Rev scripting.