Is there a Solution for this problem?

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Sun May 6 10:51:01 EDT 2007

Hi Charles,

 From an ergonomic point of view, it's probably not a very good idea to:
. Alert the user when he is wrong. I would not like a software that
tells me: 'Be careful what you are doing, absent minded!' :-)
. Not to allow the user to use the Tab or Return keys as he is used
to. I would think: 'Too bad. Does this guy know something about
guidelines?'

Then another approach could be to just not let the user enter a
*wrong* value.
To get you started, The "#020 How to master users data in entry
boxes" tutorial might help you:
This stack shows you how to allow the user to type the data you
expect according to a format in an entry box field.
Five examples are provided from a simple ZIP code to custom
sophisticated formats.

You will access this tutorial through "Tutorials Picker" a free
plugin that interfaces with the So Smart Software website in order to
display all available tutorials stacks directly from the web.
You will find it by going to http://www.sosmartsoftware.com/.
Revolution/Plugins or Tutorials section.

For instance, in a field that would only accept digits lower than a
given value:

on keydown pKey
   local tMaxValue
   -----
   put HigherScore() into tMaxValue -- max allowed value calculation
   if pKey is an integer and value(target & pKey) < tMaxValue then
pass keydown
   beep -- I hate beeps but it's for demonstration ;-)
end keydown

Best regards from Paris,
Eric Chatonet.

eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com/