Assigning IP addresses . . .

Luis luis at anachreon.co.uk
Fri May 4 06:19:57 EDT 2007

Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> On my home network I have a fairly plain, vanilla USB
> printer hooked into my Router via an EdiMax (cheap and
> not very cheerful, and a pain in the bum to set up
> with Macs) printer server. My printer probably
> wouldn't understand an IP address if it hit it in the
> face (a lot of mixed metaphors and similes there) -
> but the server thrives on IP addresses.

That's because it knows that it has to treat the USB data in a certain
way, ie: convert it to ethernet packets.
And I agree, Edimax are pants.

> Hence the idea that one could assign an IP address to
> some sort of USB-to-Ethernet server regardless of what
> was plugged in at the far end.

Yes, you can, but insofar as, for example, video data is sent into the
USB part of the server, if it's expecting printer commands then that's
what it's sent as.

> Having read the Keyspan PDFs I found 2 things which
> make this unworkable, at least with their product:
>
> 1. doesn't work with video - although does work with
> digital cameras.

I suppose the polling rate could be tweaked here.

> 2. doesn't seem to allow the end-user to assign IP
> addresses - does it all automatically: why do I
> dislike machines that have sealed boxes?

Yeah, that's a bit poo, especially if you have more than one device
attached.

> SO . . . I am now searching for a video-compliant
> USB/Firewire-to-Ethernet server,

That'd be your Mac then...

> and, like a later-day Don Quixote I shall ride forth
> with my BBC Micro under one arm, my SCSI PCI card
> under the other and all sorts of ADB cables slung
> around my waist . . . fear not! the outdated loony
> cometh!

Phasers on stun!

Cheers,

Luis.