Standalone Question

Martin Baxter mb.userev at harbourhosting.co.uk
Thu May 3 04:36:57 EDT 2007

Hi Mike,

Mike Hughes wrote:
> I have noticed an issue where I have a perfectly running Rev project and
> then when I build a standalone from it, parts of the script suddenly
> fail. For example, I seem to have trouble being able to "set the script"
> of a stack in a standalone.

See the scriptlimits. This is Revolution's contribution to the
contemporary practice of limiting software functionality in order to
protect commercial interests. Basically it stops users doing what
Runtime did - using the product to create a competing product. Sorry.
Usually there are alternative approaches, albeit less convenient perhaps.

> Similarly, it looks like I cannot copy
> images from one substack to another in a standalone. Both of these tasks
> are completely possible in a pre-built rev project. Any advice would be
> greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'm missing something.

I think you should be able to do this, but you would not be able to save
the result, as a standalone cannot save itself, and therefore you cannot
save its substacks either.

If you want to save a stack, it must be independent of the standalone.
Many of us create standalones that consist only of the splash screen and
minimal startup code, which is responsible for loading the external
stacks that contain the application logic and (sometimes) data.

HTH

Martin Baxter