Family punchups

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 24 03:31:57 EDT 2007

Yes, fonts are an issue.  In rev itself, on Debian, fonts don't seem to work
completely properly.  But yet they work just fine on Mandriva.  I don't know
why.  Its not surprising there is an issue with compiled applications in some
distros.

My own little app, its written on Debian and then moved to Mandriva because
that's what the users have.  It works just fine (not that it is very
demanding).  In fact it works identically which is a relief.  But the objects
aren't aligned in quite the same way.  For instance, two side by side fields
that fit perfectly on Debian seem to overlap just a bit on Mandriva.  Even
the button legends in the same standard font seem to vary a bit in size.
I've started leaving more space than really seems necessary around objects,
but don't know how to handle the font issue other than again making the
objects a bit bigger.

Possibly Jacque's font problem could be caused by some Linux installs not
having the fonts you're using, and doing substitution?  For instance, you
can't assume they have the MS fonts - tahoma and so on.  Many people will
install them after installing the distro, but none will come with them out of
the box for licensing reasons.  Maybe you have to restrict the range of fonts
used to ones you can be sure they have?  There may also be an issue about
paths.  If you supply fonts, but the place where you put your fonts is not on
the path of your user for fonts, then your app won't find them.  A general
recipe for fixing this in Rev is going to need someone more expert than me
though.

If doing this for a living, the solution has to be multi-boot for testing.
Its not very hard.  Just start out with a clean big disk.  Then partition it
for the first install to leave a lot of free space, and have the second and
later installs use free space.  Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse, Slackware.
Maybe Mandriva, though reports vary on 2007.  You can pick which you want to
boot from at startup.  A bit like making sure you're OK on Tiger as well as
Leopard, or XP SP1 as well as SP2.  Or now, Vista.   Then tell your users it
is tested on XYZ.

I'll write a longer post on Rev on Linux in a day or so.  But do remember,
this is an amateur at programming and at Rev writing.  Its what Dan Shafer
calls an inventive user.  Its not a real Linux guru/sysadmin.  You have been
warned!

Peter