Linux-specific technical problems

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Mon Mar 19 09:38:53 EDT 2007

A few days back I had 2 outstanding Rev/Linux questions that I hadn't
managed to clear up on-List. One of them was elegantly solved by Mark
Wieder. The other did not have an immediate answer:

In Rev Linux 2.6.1, can foreign symbols (with accents) be printed on the
printer or not?

Some discussion has taken place off-List between myself, Technical
Support (Jacque) and Don Jungk who has been extremely helpful.

The short answer to the question appears to be "No, not in #2.6.1".

The first thing to note is the following extract from the Rev Help
(Print command) in this respect:

"Cross-platform note:  On Mac OS and Windows systems, the print command
uses the current printer. On Unix systems, the print command creates a
PostScript file and runs the program specified in the printCommand
property, with the file as input."

The trouble is that as far as any of us have discovered, there is no way
that Rev can create a correctly formatted PS file when attempting to
print a whole card. If the text contained by the fields is entirely in
English, then there is no problem, but if it contains accented
characters, Rev gets its knickers in a twist and produces a file which
cannot even be displayed, let alone printed.

Our colleague Don is so well up on the question of PS files, that he has
diagnosed the problem in the format of the PS file produced by Rev under
these circumstances and corrected it! The version he produced displays
and prints perfectly!

Technical support are therefore registering it as a bug, and although it
might not have a workaround in Rev 2.6.1, it is to be hoped that this
difficulty will be fixed before the next Rev/Linux release.

Bob