Implications of limited wash to flash drives

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Mar 17 17:29:29 EDT 2007

John Craig wrote:
> My current flash drive got washed at 40 degrees when I accidentally left
> it in my jeans pocket - still seems to work perfectly, but be warned;
> Like all flash memory devices, flash drives can sustain only a limited
> number of wash and rinse cycles before failure.

I'll keep that in mind. :)

I haven't run that test myself, but I have run some durability tests:
I've dropped mine many times while backpacking and hiking, watched it
tumble over rocks, sand, and cactus, and this lightweight full-featured
(yes, with voice recording -- sorry, Apple) unit just keeps on working
like a champ.

My main interest in the original thread about writes was less about my
own usage than the viability of delivering such devices with my app
pre-installed to customers as a bundle.  I've found some great outlets
that do custom logos and replication, and the prices are unbelievably
low (sorry, Apple).

But if I encourage customers to run their stuff from the flash drive,
I'll want to do so in a way that gives them some lifespan.  At a minimum
this means turning off any auto-save features, or at least turning down
the save interval over what we have in the desktop version.

If anyone here has had experiences with failing devices it would be good
to know about to help determine the viability of such bundling.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation