answer file of type ... ?

kee nethery kee at kagi.com
Sat Mar 17 12:20:42 EDT 2007

> I have some iCal export files I want to select with the answer file
> command. I'd like to limit the answer file selection to just the
> iCal export files.
>
> Two questions:
>
> What are the scripts I would use on MacOSX, Windows, and Unix to
> limit the selection in answer file to be just the iCal export files?
>
> How did you determine the file type or filter with parameters to
> use for each of the answer file scripts?

I found a format that works on Mac OS X.

answer file "select the .ics file" with type "iCal file|ics"

that is "iCal file" then a pipe "|" then the file suffix without the
dot "ics"

"iCal file" can be seen as the "Kind" of file in the Mac OS X finder
window with the files in a list. The file suffix is visible as part
of the file name. The example I pulled this from had a file type as
the third element "iCal file|ics|RCSK" where "RCSK" would be the
Finder File Type but this appears to be optional.

This is not an example displayed in the "answer file command" docs.
The pipe as a separator is not in any example in the answer file
command docs and the examples there imply that you need wildcard dot
before the file suffix "*.ics" versus just "ics"

My questions above still remain but at least now I have a way to
select specific file suffixes on the Mac.

Thanks,

Kee Nethery