[OFF] Input/Info Requested

Marielle Lange mlange at widged.com
Sat Mar 17 05:39:42 EDT 2007

Devin,

In theory I approve. However (1) we have been asking for this for
more than 3 years and this hasn't happened and (2) Revolution never
shows himself keen on a structure where contributions can easily be
made.

The scripting conference success was to a huge extent thanks to the
work, time, dedication that Jacque did put into that.

Apart for Bill (the resident bug chaser) and Lynn (the principal
revdeveloper editor), I don't see much evidence of this.

On the revdeveloper wiki, there is now a copy of the Revolution user
guide.
<http://www.revdeveloper.com/include/wiki/rev/doku.php?
id=en:documentation:revolutionuserguide:revolutionuserguide>

There is also some text according to which : "The wiki version of the
Revolution User’s Guide will differ from the printed documentation.
The wiki will include additional headings and a Wiki Notes footer at
the bottom of each page. This will include any important notes from
the wiki editor. The wiki version may also contain user supplied
notes, comments and addendums. These may be incorporated into the
printed guide at some time in the future." [funny, in my latin
classes, I learned that the plural of addendum was addenda... however
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/styleguide/page/0,,184844,00.html>
proposes addendums as the form to adopt... though the addenda form
obviously exists <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/addenda>]

But I have been discussing off list months ago, to ask and how things
could be set to make it possible for members of the community to make
contributions. Though I have been told that there was interest in
this on runrev side, no progress whatsoever has been made.

As I said. That's 3 years that this request has been made. In terms
of time available on runrev side, I don't see anybody who can take
responsibility for this. Unless Bill comes up with a description of a
structure that makes it realistic for things to start to happen, a
wikibook seems the best way to go.

You may enjoy the reading of this excellent article
"How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Relinquish Control"
<http://www.adaptivepath.com/publications/essays/archives/000501.php>
Control = nothing ever happens.

I don't mind it being on a runrev website, but provided that's in a
zone where users have some ability to change and update the
content... eventually via some edition process by which the changes
are not shown to the public before the content has been approved by
an editor in charge.

Best,
Marielle