Can REV create Excel files?

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 15:48:51 EST 2007

On 3/2/07 11:58 AM, "Richard Gaskin" <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> Jim Ault wrote:
>> As far as I know, there is nothing in Rev that would easily allow an xls
>> format to be written, even with "binary" capability.
>
> I thought MS was using XML for Office formats these day, no?

I think the original question is how to distribute a file that the user does
not have to do an extra step of importing, thus distribute a spreadsheet
format containing the data.  You are correct about XML being used,
especially working with address book entries where tags allow field, style,
format, etc to be included in the data file.

Text files( like CSV or tab delim, etc) can contain the raw data values and
possibly headers, but no formatting, etc.

Excel workbooks are saved as "myAccountingData.xls" and thus the XLS format
is the actual workbook (containing worksheets, macros, charts, pivot tables,
etc).  Rev does not have a way of creating an Excel workbook file.

I distribute web-extracted data (using Rev) to a text file that gets
imported into various workbooks, and I designed the workbooks to import and
format the data properly with one user click on the toolbar button "Refresh
All" on the external data tool bar.  The setup is a little tricky, but works
for the client.  I could go a bit further and make a VBA script that would
handle the import of the text file.

I hope this answers the original question, but I may have gotten the wrong
idea.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas