While this may be heresy

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Wed Mar 14 09:14:33 EDT 2007

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 17:34:12 +0000, Simon HARPER wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> While I understand this may be heresy, how does Revolution stack up
> to RealBasic, especially when it comes to thinks like richness of the
> interface (such as hierarchical Listboxs)?

It's not heresy, it's a reasonable question. :-)

However it's a question that could take a long time to answer,
depending on how specific you want a comparison. They both have their
strengths and weaknesses, and at one time a member of this list (Geoff
Canyon) wrote up a comparison between the two, but this was several
versions ago for both products, so only a portion of that treatise  is
relevant anymore.

However, my opinion is that in relation to the "richness of the
interface", it's a tie. RealBasic has more built in interface objects
than Rev, but Rev has more control over its interface objects than
RealBasic. So in my opinion for this specific issue, it's a toss-up. Of
course you can create your own custom objects in both programs to fill
any gaps.

But the power of Revolution isn't centered in the expansiveness of its
built-in controls; it's in the language itself. If you are interested,
I wrote an unpublished paper that walked through the RealBasic tutorial
document, examined it, and compared it with how you'd do things in
Revolution. As an overview, in about 80% of the code comparisons,
Revolution took less lines of code to accomplish the same task than did
RealBasic. If you're interested in having a look, contact me offlist.

There is (obviously) a lot more to compare the two products, but
hopefully this will help get you started...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/