Moving a File

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Mon Mar 12 08:31:40 EDT 2007

On 9 Mar 2007, at 17:06, J. Landman Gay wrote:

>>> the team uses the database as a checklist, and it actually saves
>>> them a great deal of time because it provides a consolidated list
>>> for them to consult. They don't have time to monitor the mailing
>>> list for issues.
>
> I'm just not sure how to make it any clearer. If you have an issue
> you want addressed, put it into the checklist the team consults.
>
> I'm done with this.

Well, be done with it then! No one forced you to take part in the
discussion it was your choice. All I am saying that for these small
changes that only affect the online docs, it would make much more
sense to just do them, rather than add them to a list. The reason I
say this is from recent experience:

A couple of months ago one of my customers contacted me about the
content of one of the fields in an information dialog. The text was
worded such that it was possible misunderstand what was being said
and that could lead to records by being deleted by mistake from a
database. I corrected it there and then and had a new version for
them within an hour. I could do this since I knew it would not affect
any other part of the system since it was just displayed text and
contained no logic and was not referenced by any other part of the
system. It was so like the case of the "rename" and "delete array
item" documentation gliches that it sprang to mind immediately. The
benefits of this approach are:

1.  There is no need to waste time adding it to a database.
2.  There is no need to waste time checking the database.
3.  The customer is impressed with the speedy response and this in
turn generates a feeling of "being looked after" and customer loyalty.
4.   It is one less thing to worry about.

Of course I can understand the need to have a database to track
problems that contain logic and implication else where in the system.
But for simple things like the cases I mention is it a lot better to
just do them.

Can't you see the sense in this?

All the Best
Dave