XP and Vista question

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 21:35:13 EST 2007

On 3/4/07, Bob Warren <bobwarren at howsoft.com> wrote:

> Such pirating will probably come to an end with the protective mechanisms
> of Windows Vista. (Personally, I think that this marks the beginning of the
> end of Microsoft. Allowing a certain amount of piracy was part of the secret
> of their success, related to the essential characteristic of wide
> distribution and fame.)

Was falling into that same dream that Vista had ended piracy and that would
bring the PC world to a watershed moment of deciding to Buy or go Unix. Was
bought back to reality just yesterday when talking to a work colleague who
mentioned he was on Vista. The first 'real' Vista user I've met. He was
enjoying it and only had a couple of compatibility problems. When I asked
him if he thought it was going to markedly reduce the piracy in the local
computer malls, he just smiled. Turns out he's been using a pirated copy of
Vista since day 1!

So apart from the 'developers' on this List who I assume are using legal
copies, 100% of the 'home users' I've met using Vista are using Pirated
copies (you can argue anything with statistics;-)