OT: Windows net traffic

Dave Cragg dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Thu Mar 8 03:05:19 EST 2007

On 8 Mar 2007, at 05:54, Jim Ault wrote:

> On 3/7/07 9:14 PM, "J. Landman Gay" <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:
>>> ... try typing "sudo tcpdump" in
>>> a Terminal window. Type Control-c to stop.
> All I get is:
>
> tcpdump: WARNING: en0: no IPv4 address assigned
> tcpdump: listening on en0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture
> size 96
> bytes
> ^C
> 0 packets captured
> 0 packets received by filter
> 0 packets dropped by kernel
> [jimaultscomputer:~] jault%
>

> so I must be in a pretty quiet part of the internet.

Are you on a wireless connection? Try the following to get a list of
interfaces:

sudo tcpdump -D
Password:

On my machine, this produces the following:

1.en0
2.fw0
3.wlt1
4.lo0

Assuming wlt1 is the wireless interface,

sudo tcpdump -i 3

Which produces the following here:

tcpdump: WARNING: wlt1: no IPv4 address assigned
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol
decode
listening on wlt1, link-type IEEE802_11_RADIO (802.11 plus BSD radio
information header), capture size 96 bytes

But will presumably give results if wi-fi is enabled.

Cheers
Dave