XP and Vista question

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Mar 2 19:09:31 EST 2007

Chipp Walters wrote:

> On 3/2/07, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
>
>> At least Apple has a business viability reason:  Apple sells computers,
>> so if someone can run OS X on a non-Apple computer they lose a lot of money.
>
> Hmmm.
>
> Last I saw, Apple sold Operating systems...for even more than what I
> pay for on Windows (XP Home OEM is < $99). I don't think they 'lose
> money' when they sell their OS.

Not directly, but since it's a key feature of their computers it does
represent an opportunity cost.

In contrast, Microsoft doesn't sell computers at all.

> And please everyone, if you want to talk about draconian DRM issues
> and proprietary (mis)dealings, you HAVE TO include Apple in THAT
> discussion. For crying out loud, their getting their arses sued off in
> Europe over the same issue.

I hear you loud and clear on that one.  I have three MP3 players and
none of them are from Apple (more features, lower price). I rarely buy
anything through Apple store because they only sell in a proprietary format.

Here's the part I don't understand, though:  Steve Jobs has publicly
said he would prefer to ditch the DRM, but that Apple does it because
the record companies insist on it.  Why doesn't the EU take the record
labels to court?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation