implicitVars [Was: Re: Best Practices in Rev development]

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Fri Jun 29 17:19:02 EDT 2007

On 6/29/07, Ken Ray <kray at sonsothunder.com> wrote:

> Personally, my feeling is "whatever works for you, works
> for you" - by that I mean that over the years of not declaring xTalk
> variables I have gotten to the point that the likelihood of me making
> an error in typing a variable is extremely low, so there really is very
> little benefit and a lot of extra hassle for me to start declaring
> them. But that's me... Anything that makes the process more efficient
> is good, IMHO.

I'm with Ken. I don't declare variables and have spent so many hours working
this way, it's just easier. I rarely if ever find a problem from not
declaring vars, and the overhead of the typing and visual clutter is a
nuisance and a time waste to me. Also, I really like using script locals,
and inserting local vars within handlers would 'look funny' to me as I
generally think of:

local lColor

as a scriptwide var.

I would expect most of us who've 'grown up' using HyperCard and SuperCard
aren't as concerned with declaring vars, as those who have worked more with
traditional programming languages.