implicitVars [Was: Re: Best Practices in Rev development]

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Jun 29 08:52:53 EDT 2007

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:31:31 +0100, Dave wrote:

> That's why I can't see the argument that's it's more typing, it
> really isn't, and the bugs that can be caused by not declaring your
> locals are so hard to find that I really can't see any reason not to
> declare them.

Well, if you have a handler that is quite long (larger than one full
screen's worth), you would have to keep scrolling up and down to copy
and paste variables. If you copy and paste it may not be more *typing*,
but it's still a PITA which you don't need to do if your variables are
not declared. Personally, my feeling is "whatever works for you, works
for you" - by that I mean that over the years of not declaring xTalk
variables I have gotten to the point that the likelihood of me making
an error in typing a variable is extremely low, so there really is very
little benefit and a lot of extra hassle for me to start declaring
them. But that's me... Anything that makes the process more efficient
is good, IMHO.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com