The Art of Dissolving Splash Screens

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Jun 28 05:59:07 EDT 2007

Recently, Sivakatirswami wrote:

> I can't get my splash screen to appear and then gracefully
> dissolve before showing the main stack (which needs to save data)
>
> In fact, the splash screen stack doesn't even make an appearance
> -- which is cool in a way, but if you wanted to the do the "branding"
> thing and have it appear a bit before hand... it's not happening.)
>
> What am I doing wrong here?

AFAIK, all the built-in visual effects work on the content of stacks, not on
the stack windows themselves.  From the docs ("visual"):

"Adds a transition effect to navigation between cards."

Your best bet is probably to use the blendlevel technique already posted.

That being said, on OSX 10.4 and later, there's supposed to be a way to
apply some Core Image effects (ie Ripple) to stacks, but I'm not sure
anyone's figured out how to do it.  If someone out there has succeeded with
this, please share. :-)

Best Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director