Fastest memory based search technique (was: Adding 1 to an array)

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 24 14:56:28 EDT 2007

On 6/24/07 10:51 AM, "David Bovill" <david at openpartnership.net> wrote:

I do use the (filter command) + (arrays, lists, custom properties) a lot to
extract data using patterns I create... but only small stuff, and only for
me/my lingo.  Designing for others who will think differently and
multi-lingual and multi-cultural is a whole 'nuther can of beans.

My logic patterns only appeal to me and one other guy I know, and I have not
seen him in over 15 years.

>> Don't forget the idea adding a comment line at the beginning of the handler
>> that contains the keywords used in a single location.
>>
>> on doThisForMe
>> --tagg doThisForMe calcPixels repeat for each union using
>>
>> end
>>
>> then harvest them by...
>> filter handlersText with "--tagg*"  =>
>

> Good idea - I'll add that (is it something you use?).
Yes, I use this in various ways to get sublists in context.
Today I am using this to have Rev extract a list of Photoshop layers and
allow me to define 'sets to make visible, hiding the others' (including 10
levels of undo since I often say "oops" and want to go back a few steps).

This setup will manage .psd's that have 100-150 layers, one card for each
.psd file, storing multiple definitions in custom properties.

> So whats wrong with the idea of creating arrays and then making unions of
> these arrays to get a fast in memory result equivalent to "SQL join"? My
> thought is to do this and then make an asynch call to a slower sql based
> search for more esoteric results.
Nothing other than the design and maintenance of the system.  The SQL
join/add/delet/modify/index is already programmed, whereas your system needs
to be built.  It could be that you could retrieve a blob from SQL and then
do the fast chunking in Rev.  I don't use SQL yet, so I am in the dark on
speed and ease of maintenance.

Your project is wonderfully ambitious because the result will be so useful
to many.  My creations are for my own business ventures

Good luck,

Jim Ault
Las Vegas