Ground Control to Revolution

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sun Jun 10 12:48:42 EDT 2007

On 6/10/07, Scott Kane <scott at cdroo.com> wrote:

> > Meanwhile, Python (and all the other open source alternatives) will be
> > moving on.  Python is and will remain professionally documented, with
> half
> > a dozen
> > excellent tutorial and reference texts, electronic and paper.  Hetland's
> > book, for instance, is what Dan Shafer's book should have become had it
> > gone
> > to a second edition.  Its one of many.
>
> I'm yet to find one major commercial product written in Python.  I suppose
> they exist, but as I say, I've not run into one yet. I suspect having said
> that I shall be given a list. <g>   AFA the actual coding in Python I've
> not
> tried it and presently have no need to do so.

I've written a small wxPython cross-platform app. It's called VueToolbar and
it's toolbar plugin manager along with a number of python scripts which
works for e-on software's 3D program, Vue.

Thank heavens I don't have to make a living writing wxPython. I, agree, I
couldn't find any slick examples of commercial grade quality apps written in
wxPython either.

Which really is an interesting way of evaluating something. Instead of
'reading the cover', read the book. When I look to purchase a 3D
application, I typically look at the work it has created first. If there's
nothing good, then I typically move on. Not to say Open Source hasn't
created some fine stuff-- including this browser I am currently using.

I, personally, also tend to weigh what is said, by who said it. A person who
shouts from the ground instructions on how best to climb a tree, IMO, is
less vested in not falling than a person at the top of the tree. It's just
human nature.

Who's advice regarding tree-climbing would you take?

-Chipp