Database - quickest way to do this?

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Sun Jun 10 09:13:18 EDT 2007

That should get Ruslan to reply :)

Keywords are in a simple database link table and i want to do a search for
handlers based on 10 or so keywords selected by the user or automatically
selected by the software. Now i want to return a list of hits in descending
ranking depending on how many keywords are linked to the record - so if all
the keywords are there (unlikely you'd get the highest ranking). Ideally it
would be asynchronous with a first raft of result coming quick and the
broader result added later... but thats a detail. It has to be fast as it
will work as you are typing if possible.

So I guess I do an "or" SQL search for all these keywords, and then loop
through them checking hits. Or do I do "AND" searches, and iterate replacing
the "AND" with "OR" to widen the search?

NB - it would be nice to do a speed test on this trying the following

   1. In memory - arrays - can't figure - seems complex?
   2. Stack with cards and use "find" - old school but could work :)
   3. sqlLite
   4. valentina (the fastest of course :)

NB - Ruslan what do you use to monitor emails - have you got a Valentina
database searching for key words - or do you just use GMail :)