Ground Control to Revolution

Scott Kane scott at cdroo.com
Sun Jun 10 06:55:45 EDT 2007

From: "Peter Alcibiades" <palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk>

> This attitude worries me more than anything that has come out of the Rev
> community since I started with Rev.   People really do not seem to
> understand
> what the nature of the open source competition is.  Its baffling, this
> degree of ignorance, and its deeply worrying.  The competition that will
> destroy
> your product is the competition whose existence you spend your whole time
> denying and refusing to look at.

But I don't deny it and certainly do look at it.  Being pro commercial
software is hardly worrying, problematic or anything else.  It certainly has
no negative conentation in regards to Rev, RR or this list.  If you want to
write software with no renumeration them please be my guest.  All I ask is
that you don't try to make it compulsory or insist that others make their
software available with zero renumeration just because you believe that
should be the way of the world.

> Lets say that things carry on with Rev as they are now, for Linux users,
> into December of this year, or six more months.

I have no problems with Rev updating the Linux engine.  Indeed I fully
support Rev updating the Linux engine.  Should it be free?  I don't think so
and I support RR if they choose not to make it so.  If RR decide to make it
free - well that's their affair.  All I maintain is that software is a
consumer product.  If a company is to eat beyond visiting the local charity
for a bowl of soup and a slice of bread then they are darn well going to
have to sell it for money and not goodwill because some people feel software
should be free.

> Meanwhile, Python (and all the other open source alternatives) will be
> moving on.  Python is and will remain professionally documented, with half
> a dozen
> excellent tutorial and reference texts, electronic and paper.  Hetland's
> book, for instance, is what Dan Shafer's book should have become had it
> gone
> to a second edition.  Its one of many.

I'm yet to find one major commercial product written in Python.  I suppose
they exist, but as I say, I've not run into one yet. I suspect having said
that I shall be given a list. <g>   AFA the actual coding in Python I've not
tried it and presently have no need to do so.

> I really like Rev, I like the Hypercard roots, the people, the community,
> the ease of learning, the flexibility and speed of getting stuff done in
> it.  I'm
> not advocating moving to Python and don't want to. Python is a lot harder
> to learn, maybe also to use.  But my goodness people, wake up and look at
> what
> is going on in the world outside.  It is not the way you think it is.  You
> are becoming your own worst enemies by burying your heads in the sand.

Burying your head in the sand?  I could put a really awful laugh in here -
but I won't because I believe you are genuine.  Look.  Free can not make the
world go round.  It didn't work for Marx, it didn't work for Lenon.  There
are other examples.  However there are not any strong examples of where it
has worked.  People have to eat - even Open Source officiandos must eat
something and somebody has got to pay for that stuff they are eating.
Whether it is customers, support contracts (which are not even likely to be
paid by most consumers and small business') or the government in handouts to
the unemployed.

> Still think OSS is all half baked, phase of the moon stuff?  Sitting at my
> Debian desktop, shaking my head in disbelief.  Where do these ideas come
> from?

Yes.  Absolutely.  Because Joe and Jill Six-pack can't use your lovely (and
I'm sure it is exactly that) Debian desktop.  All those wonderful internet
tools that are "free" are not really free.  People take that code, compile
it and sell it to us as "Web Hosting".  Sure - I can setup those tools on my
own box and connect to the big wide world but that opens a whole new kettle
of fish (security, time to keep it secure etc - which BTW are all cost
factors).  Now - back to Debian (or any *Nix flavour) there simply are not
enough applications to draw most people in easily.  Will there be in the
future?  No I don't think so.  Because there's no money in it.  Linux users
don't want to pay for software (or support contracts).  They want it free.
Zero interest for anybody interested in making a living with software.  In
addition *nix has no marketing clout.  Microsoft and Apple can afford
massive add campaigns in multiple media.  *nix can not.  IBM tried to take
on Microsoft with OS2 (a beautiful multi-tasking desktop system that in many
ways is still superior to Windows) and failed because of marketing and
acceptance.  The *nix fraternity may be growing - but are they gaining
traction?  No.  Windows and Mac still dominate after almost 10 years of
having people tell me I didn't know what I was talking about.  When Borland
held Borcon in Sydney I told David Intersimone - over dinner - that Kylix
would die because *nix programmers would not support it.  I suggested a
lower price tag ($69 to be precise) in an attempt to mitigate the flop.  I
was told I was wrong - but now Kylix is as dead as a doornail.  Those
programmers that are my contempories in other software organizations
attempted to work with *nix.  It was open source and free or nick off.  So
they did exactly that.

Half-baked?  Yep.  Most of the software on SourceForge is half baked.  Phase
of the moon?  Well maybe they aren't affected by that - dunno - but
something makes all those efforts begin and end with, shall we say, little
to show for themselves.  Sure - there is commercial vapourware - one only
has to consider what Vista was supposed to be and what it is.  But that
won't stop it (or a successor because I suspect Vista is as big a goof as
Millennium was) and it shall continue complete with commercial companies
offering commercial software.  If "free" worked industry would have been
doing it centuries ago.  But it's never worked because there is nothing in
it to live on.  Maybe.....   when they start giving out free computers to go
with the free OS' and their accompanying hordes of "free software" it may
have a chance.  But I suspect hell will freeze over before Dell, IBM, Apple
etc start handing out those to us all.

Scott Kane