Open Source (was Don't you just wish Rev would do this?)

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Thu Jun 7 15:59:54 EDT 2007

A little hard Joe?

On 07/06/07, Joe Lewis Wilkins <pepetoo at cox.net> wrote:

> First of all, Bob,
>
> We appreciate your efforts, but what you suggest just won't ever
> happen....

But it is just more
> convenient for all of us to get a single new package, rather than a
> number of different ones of whose status we have to keep track.

I for one really appreciate both the regularity of MacOX system / security
updates, and those of FireFox. They are painless and a lot more regular than
Revs updates. Scott and MetaCard had a similar strategy before RunRev
started a more old-school approach - it worked for me - if I emailed in a
bug - it would get fixed within weeks or a few months at most.

Most of all since we have had everything in place for online stack / plugin
updates - there really should be a supported way for IDE bugfixes and
enhancements to get spotted,fixed and distributed much faster. Surely there
is little doubt that OSX engineers are some of the best engineers out there
- and they took a leaf out of the open source book (indeed many of them come
from Mozilla, Gentoo and other open source projects). RunRev could do worse
than learning the same lessons.