There's no place like Home

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jun 7 00:28:28 EDT 2007

Chipp Walters wrote:
> You can turn RevOnline off...In fact it's the first thing I do when I launch
> a new version of Rev. If you could turn the 'Home' stack off..would it still
> be a Home stack?

One could close the HC's Home stack, at least if some other stack was open.

As for any new Home stack, at the moment this is just a thought
experiment so the definition of Home stack for the 21st century is in
flux, to be determined by whatever people here express. :)

Here's the backstory:

Some substantial revisions are underway with the MetaCard IDE project,
the original IDE stacks for this engine which have since become open source.

While working on some other parts it occurs to me that since Rev 2.7 the
Home stack is really just a launcher.  It no longer handles the
licensing stuff (that's handled much more securely and robustly in the
engine itself now), and it's only role is that it's the stack that the
development engine looks for on startup, and in turn it can open any
other stack to start an IDE.

Since it was just sitting there, I've been pondering whether it makes
sense to just hide it or perhaps have some useful stuff in it.  And of
course it would be closeable, just like RevOnline.

So Home is at this point a clean slate.  It could be discarded, but I
thought it would be fun to brainstorm with the folks here to see if
maybe something valuable could be done with it.  Just maybe there is a
way to redefine the concept of a Home stack for the 21st century....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal