A glimpse of the future

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Wed Jun 6 15:09:44 EDT 2007

Andre Garzia wrote:

>Hello Bob,

>RevBrowser works with WebKit on the mac and IE engine on windows. It
needs an embedable engine to work, on linux it could use Gecko.

Right now Opera doesn't ship an embedable engine that I know of. You
have opera running on all kinds of machines such as Game Boy Advance
and PCs but you don't have an SDK where you can embed opera anywhere
so, you can't count on that for your MHTs.

Hi Andre!

Of course, all this stuff (like most other things) is way over my head.
But take a look at the page below and tell me what you think in
comparison to what you said above. However, I am so ignorant that it is
possible that what I am pointing out has absolutely nothing to do with
the issue really!

Andre wrote:

 >What you can do however is to make Rev convert your MHTs on HTML + CSS

+ Image files, this would be a simple single loop conversion and then
you could use it by shell to firefox on linux. Or if you're planning
to ship a software where you control both ends (generation of content
and display of content) you can make zip files with the HTML + Friends
and use the new external to decompress to temporary location for
display. This would be true cross platform and allow you to bundle
even more resources such as audio, video and INTERACTIVE STACKS!  ;-)

In fact, my aim was not to be able to display a lot of MHTs I have, but to create software for the purpose of producing MHTs. I've done this in Windows already with a program called "Webpage Editor" (see  http://www.howsoft.com/windows.htm and http://www.howsoft.com/webed/). I hoped to vastly improve it in Ubuntu/Revolution. In fact, I have never been able to understand why MHTs weren't more popular, even amongst Windows users. They have their limitations, for example they cannot be used on the web, only off-line. And although they are nothing more than glorified e-mails, most e-mail progs refuse to send them, probably because of security considerations. But the very fact that they consolidate text + images (base 64) into a single ascii file makes them ideal for Help applications and so on, without having to keep track of all the bits and pieces.

However, in light of what you say, I probably need to re-consider. Perhaps as you say, I need to widen my horizons and find a "zippy" solution! :-)

Thanks for that Andre!

Bob