OT: Open Source (was Don't you just wish Rev would do this?)

Luis luis at anachreon.co.uk
Wed Jun 6 11:09:23 EDT 2007

Open Source is not how software is written, it's the philosophy
behind it: If what you're given doesn't work for you, you can change
it (yourself, someone else, contracted, free or whatever). It does
not mean that whatever changes are made are forced upon you, as for
that same reason, you can change it.

Deciding to adopt the differing licensing schemes available in the
Open Source community, gives you the choice of whether, to name two,
you want to contribute freely (GPL) or use it for commercial purposes
(BSD, without the 'requirement' to release the code). GPL has given
us Linux, Firefox, etc. BSD: Microsoft had used the BSD TCP/IP stack
in Windows 2000 (modified of course) in its commercial OS product.

A lot of coders I know are moving to the Open Source world for the
simple fact that they can fix it. One case: Seeing RunRev lacking
certain 'facilities' (3D was high on his list, and yes, I am aware of
the plugin from igame3D) he couldn't believe that a modern 'language'
didn't have it built in and wasn't about to 'write an external' for
something that should have been 'internal'.

There is great misconception in the commercial world regarding Open
Source, principally due to the heavy coating of FUD.

There's a newsagent (kiosk) near me that cellotapes the cover of the
magazines shut, so you can't have a look before you buy.

Imagine they did the same at your local Library.

Personally, I appreciate the fact that I can tinker with it.

Cheers,

Luis.

On 6 Jun 2007, at 15:35, Shari wrote:

>> I've heard for years that open source is going to overcome closed
>> source. I've listened to various people espousing it, heard
>> examples of where this is said to be taking place - yet it isn't.
>> Open Source is no more logical than "Open Supermarkets" where food
>> is given away.  Neither work in what is a Capitalistic world - a
>> world I whole heartedly support as the only model we have that
>> works most of the time at least for some of the people.  It's not
>> perfect but the alternatives are worse.
>>
>> Scott
>
> Bottoms up to Ayn Rand!  Hear hear!

Snip