Don't you just wish Rev would do this?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jun 5 12:52:46 EDT 2007

David Bovill wrote:
> Adobe open sources Flex and continues to support and sell the commercial
> product:
>
> http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Flex:Open_Source:FAQ

"Wish"?  Of course. As a consultant, nothing would be a greater boon to
my business than moving from a sole-source proprietary language to one
which is free and open to all.  Given the many benefits of open source
for development tools, it's quite a testament to Rev's ROI that all
three of the companies whose technology I manage continue to rely on it
even though it's proprietary.

But I don't think open source is likely in the foreseeable future.
RunRev Ltd. and their backers have a lot invested in Rev, and any path
to the future would need to provide a healthy return on that investment.

Moreover, a tool as complex as Rev would be expensive to maintain and
enhance, so unless there are a lot of expert programmers who are
independently wealthy I suspect they'd need to be compensated, and I
wonder if any donation scheme would ultimately cost less than the
current low upgrade fees.

But aside from being free/gratis, are there other specific benefits
you'd look forward to if it became open source?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal